Dioralyte Sachets are a fast and effective rehydration treatment to help replace the loss of fluid and body salts lost when you have diarrhoea. Each sachet of Dioralyte has been carefully designed to contain the perfect balance of essential body salts for your well-being and Glucose (sugars) to help you absorb the body salts and water efficiently.
You should use a Dioralyte sachet as soon as diarrhoea symptoms start, and after each episode.
Choose from Blackcurrant, Citrus and Natural flavours
Dioralyte hydrates faster and more effectively than water.
Directions for use:
Preparing this medicine:
- Dioralyte must be mixed with water before taking.
- Prepare the solution just before it is going to be taken. If refrigerated the solution may be stored for up to 24 hours, otherwise any solution remaining after one hour after reconstitution should be discarded
- Do not make in advance.
- Only dissolve the powder in water. Do not dissolve in anything else.
- Empty the contents of 1 sachet into a glass
- Add 200 ml (7 fl oz) of water. Do not use more or less than 200 ml of water. If you do, the drink will become too weak or too strong. It will not work as well. You may also upset the balance of salts in your body
- Stir until the powder dissolves When your medicine is fully dissolved, the drink will be a colourless solution.
How many sachets to take
If you are being sick (vomiting) take the medicine in small sips
If you have diarrhoea, it is best not to eat during the early stages. If diarrhoea lasts for more than 24 to 36 hours see your doctor
Adults including elderly persons:
One to two sachets after each loose stool
Children aged 2 years and over:
One sachet after every loose stool
Do not take Dioralyte and talk to your doctor or pharmacist if:
You are allergic (hypersensitive) to glucose, sodium chloride, potassium chloride and disodium hydrogen citrate or any of the other ingredients of Dioralyte (see list below)
Your bowel is partially or fully blocked (called ‘intestinal obstruction’)
Take special care with Dioralyte Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if:
- The diarrhoea has lasted for more than 24 to 36 hours, you may need other treatment You are on a low potassium or low sodium diet
- You have liver or kidney disease
- You have diabetes
For infants under 24 months use only on medical advice. Infants under the age of 24 months that have diarrhoea should be seen by a doctor as soon as possible.
The active substances are glucose, sodium chloride, potassium chloride and disodium hydrogen citrate. Other Ingredients include: colloidal anhydrous silica, saccharin sodium, lemon/lime flavour (contains sulphur dioxide (E220), citrus packs only), blackcurrant flavour (contains ethanol, blackcurrant packs only). Dioralyte Blackcurrant Powder contains small amounts of ethanol (alcohol), less than 100mg per dose. Dioralyte Citrus Powder contains sulphur dioxide. Sulphur dioxide may rarely cause severe hypersensitivity reactions and bronchospasm.